Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2007

Caregiver's Bill of Rights

I have the right.........


* To take care of myself. This is not an act of selfishness. It will give me the capability of taking better care of my relative.


* To seek help from others even though my relatives may object. I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength.


* To maintain facets of my own life that do not include the person I care for, just as I would if he or she were healthy. I know that I do everything I reasonably can for this person, and I have the right to do some things for myself.


* To get angry, be depressed, and express other difficult feelings occasionally.


* To reject any attempts by my relatives (either conscious or unconscious) to manipulate me through guilt, and/or depression.


* To receive consideration, affection, forgiveness, and acceptance for what I do for my loved one for as long as I offer these qualities in return.


* To take pride in what I am accomplishing and to applaud the courage it has sometimes taken to meet the needs of my relative.


* To protect my individuality and my right to make a life for myself that will sustain me in the time when my relative no longer needs my full-time help.


* To expect and demand that as new strides are made in finding resources to aid physically and mentally impaired persons in our country; similar strides will be made towards aiding and supporting caregivers.


© by Jo Horne, Author of "Caregiving: Helping an Aging Loved One" (ISBN-10: 0673248224; ISBN-13: 978-0673248220) and other books for caregivers.

No comments: